Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Death of A Bad Dude and Who Gets the Girl?

Phew!! With only one day left of 2011 National Novel Writing Month, I managed to pound out around 5,000 words on PAINTING TOTORA today. On this home stretch, I've learned I can always count on truly fleshed-out characters to have plenty to say. I can also always count on a carefully-timed chocolate break to help keep me focused. Exercise is going to make a reappearance in my life in December.

Today, I tackled the climax of my Peruvian steampunk novel and had the satisfaction of bringing a truly bad dude to an un-"timely" end. My apologies for the bad pun, but it's late and I'm all worded out for today. For those of you who may not know the term "steampunk", it is a sub-genre of science fiction and fantasy which usually involves an alternate history in which technological advances are as the Victorians might have envisioned them--with steam power or spring-propelled gadgets (ie. clockwork). The setting for steampunk is often Victorian era Britain, but for my YA novel, I chose South America.

Also during my write-a-thon today, I reached the point in my novel where the girl must choose between two very different guys. It's curious how much I enjoyed that. I think I enjoyed it because each guy has qualities I like in my husband and because it's interesting to require a fictional character to make such a hard choice. Characters who want things and characters who step up and make tough choices are the most compelling to read wouldn't you agree?

Tomorrow is zero hour. Check back to see if I make it.

1 comment:

  1. I made it with! Smiling the whole way thru your last few posts. You are an amazing storyteller!!! Happy December.

    ReplyDelete