Saturday, November 5, 2011

Making Time and Prickly Burrs

People ask me, "How do you have time to write a novel and rewrite that novel and write another one?"

I make time.

I carve it out of time I would've spent doing less productive things. I give up television and movies and the obsession of an immaculate home. I sometimes give up sleep.

And I do the most important stuff first.

Everyone has good and bad days--I sure do. But, today was a good one in which the most important stuff happened and so everything else worked too. After two hours of writing, I took my son to the park. We were the only ones there and had sole possession of the playset. We climbed, we spun on the tire swing, I provided plenty of "underdogs", we ran laps on the trail, and we broke open the prickly burrs from the chestnut tree.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/anderani/2977066634/

When my daughter came home from school she had some concerns about her day. We talked in the kitchen, we cuddled on the couch and we laughed through the tears. I helped her with a costume and her musical audition piece.

I didn't clean a toilet today, nor did I make cookies. I didn't pay much attention to the animals (although the kids fed the cats and apparently Mr. R had a chicken wander into the garage to keep him company while he worked on his bike.) I didn't wash a dish (although, thanks to my sweet Mr R, the kitchen is actually clean right now.)

I drove to Irish dance, had to get a jump for my car when the battery died, drove a child to a playdate, and actually made dinner. And after my son and I discovered those prickly burrs and made a collection of leaves, I buckled myself to my laptop at home and wrote over 3000 words on my novel.

Time to write...check. Time to sleep...now.

7 comments:

  1. 3000 words? Impressed! I haven't started yet....I guess I'm not doing NaNo. But hopefully I'll get some good writing done during my monthlong Holiday break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed, too! I was logging great numbers last week, but something happened over the weekend that sent me spinning and I haven't been able to pull it back together. So today, I'm at 700 words. Not great, but considering the weekend, I'll take it. I'm glad your day was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never cease to amaze me! I consider that a happy day and with many memories to linger long after the snow falls and the slide is covered...which may be sooner than later! Sounds about like a piece of heaven dropped in for a while at your home. Thanks for sharing the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Celestra, dropping by from the campaign and just letting you know that you have just been tagged!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Celesta, awesome post. Creating time has been much on my mind of late. It's amazing what we can let go of once we begin to take our writing seriously. Between writing and family, there simply is no room for addiction or obsession of any kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! It's hard to see others' successes and remember not to compare our worst with their best. Everyone has the same amount of hours in a day. And everyone chooses what to do with them.

      Thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  6. Nice blog! It's always important to get the most important things done first, though I must admit, I'm not very good at it ... ~sigh~ Oh well, I'm new to this campaign thing, but am really enjoying it! So, Tag! You're it! Visit my blog for a list of my eleven questions then link it back to me! Look forward to getting to know you better! ~Theresa Sneed author of No Angel and its forthcoming prequel, From Heaven to Earth http://theresasmallsneed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete