Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A Thankful Day and 19,000 Words To Go

Yesterday I did the grocery shopping for Thanksgiving dinner and the excitement of the upcoming holidays is tangible in my house. What a time to write a new novel in a month! Who decided that a short month with a major holiday should be National Novel Writing Month?  Yes, I know. Only I am to blame for the craziness that is my life. But, somehow, the craziness is what keeps me sane. I love waking up each morning with a challenge I enjoy and, believe me, writing a 50,000 word novel in a month is a challenge I enjoy.

With regards to thankfulness in writing, today I'm grateful for Mr. R. My wonderful husband took the kids on an outing to visit his work and to pick up our Thanksgiving turkey so I could have time to catch up on my word count. I'm thankful for my sweet daughter who enjoys talking over plot points with me when I get stuck. I'm thankful for the laughs my son gives me when he points at artificial pumpkins and calls them "fiction" because I told him that "fiction" means "not real". I am thankful for a writing blog that affords me a break when the emotional drama of my characters has exhausted me for the moment. I'm thankful for amazing critique partners who keep me motivated and whose insights always make me a better writer. I'm grateful for the many blogs of agents and authors who join together in a community of mentoring and support in the tough world of publishing.

Just to share an example of the amazing writers who help each other, the following is a link to a blog called "Miss Snark's First Victim". This post announces the completion of a writing contest on the blog called The Baker's Dozen, in which winners' entries will be reviewed by no less than 13 literary agents. When a contest participant whose entry wasn't accepted posted a comment that they were now going to give up on writing, a slew of writers came to the rescue in their comments. You have to read it for yourself. I promise it'll put you in the holiday spirit. http://bit.ly/ufWyQp

My thankful list here has to do with my writing life. I'm thankful for many other things as well. Things I will share over the dinner table tomorrow with my family.

What are you thankful for?

2 comments:

  1. YAY FOR CRITIQUE PARTNERS!!!!!

    Hope the novel's coming well. And the "fiction" thing made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the comments on Miss Snark's First Victim. They came at a time when I needed to hear it.

    And ditto what Kate said. I'm all out of words to write it myself. :)

    ReplyDelete