Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Chocolate Indulgence

The following recipe originated with Mr. R's beloved grandma whom my children refer to as "Cookie Grandma".  I must give her the credit. I'm posting this recipe in recognition of the most difficult rejection I received to date--the rejection that hurt the most, but proved the most helpful.

This rejection was no form letter. Although form letters tend to tick me off, at least they are somewhat ambiguous and you know hundreds of other people received the same wording. At least form letters aren't personal. The letter I'm commemorating with Chocolate Indulgence was very personal. It detailed everything that made my writing bad for two, single-spaced pages. It knocked me over and ground my self-confidence into powder. The editor who wrote it wasn't trying to destroy me--only to push me. Once I set the letter aside for a week and nursed my wounded pride, I realized she had some very valid points. The letter that hurt the most prompted me to take the manuscript to a workshop and ultimately led me to rewrite the entire manuscript from scratch. Without this painful rejection letter, I would have continued to revise by pushing words and phrases around like a kid with a dumptruck and a pile of dirt.

My rewritten manuscript might someday be published, but perhaps it won't. Regardless of what happens, the most painful rejection forced me to grow into a better writer.

No, I can't tell you who the editor is...but here's some chocolate for her.

Chocolate Indulgence Cookies
image from http://www.lovefromtheoven.com/

1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups turbinado sugar
2 organic, cage-free eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups unbleached white flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp coarse salt
2 cups dark chocolate chips or chunks

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until fluffy. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Add dry mixture to the butter mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.

Drop cookie dough onto an ungreased, light-colored baking sheet (dark sheets absorb more heat and tend to burn the cookies before baking is complete) using a rounded teaspoon of dough for each cookie.

Bake for 8-10 minutes. Enjoy!

*Note: For more yummy goodness, try these cookies with natural vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate syrup!

5 comments:

  1. It's great that you allowed your experience, as uncomfortable as it was, to motivate you to keep on writing. I love chocolate, so thanks for posting your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's small consolation for rejection pain but two whole pages detailing why she didn't connect with your manuscript gave you the motivation to stay the course. That editor knew you had talent or he/she wouldn't have spent the time writing the letter. I've known several people who have given up after receiving much less criticism. Keep that willful determination and you'll find a home for this story or the next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about the painful rejection, Celesta. But good for you for making the most of it - and commemorating with chocolate even! I like the way you think ;)

    I passed along the Lucky 7 Challenge to you on my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the rejection :(. Rejections suck.

    And yay chocolate! I would totally make these, but I would probably burn the house down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh...I'm over it. Thanks, though. I'll make you cookies sometime so you don't burn down your house. =)

      Delete